After several years I bought my first HF Transceiver: an ICOM IC-7000. All my other transceivers work on 2m/70cm only, so nothing for long range communication.
My reasons were:
- I know that device from friends, so I’m basically used to the usage
- portable size for carrying in my rucksack along with my laptop for digimodes (although I have to carry a 13.8V power supply, it still fits into one bag)
- quite large hackvalue with a lot of ports and description in the manual
- fits for digimodes and can be controlled from a computer
- there is a composite output for the display, so that I can attach a projector and use the device for workshops
- with the release of the successor, the IC-7100, the IC-7000 dropped in price
I’m still in need of a good antenna for 15m/20m/40m/80m, but a transceiver is necessary for the start!